Monday, June 18, 2012

Lost in This Film

Lost in Translation

Directed and written by Sofia Coppola
★ Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson

        

Two people meet and spend a short time together, feeling they have known each other for life. And after that time is over, the two part and carry on with their respective lives, perhaps never to meet again.


Most people have experienced a situation like this, meeting someone and instantly feeling a special connection, sharing a few incomparable moments together, and afterwards having to leave this person. Personally, I have met a few people on those accounts, though never for a time as long as in the film, and my personal experiences haven’t been as intense as those in the movie.
Still, watching Lost in Translation broke my heart.
It is the feeling of something that could have been, paired with the probability that it couldn't have, that adds up to a feeling of great happiness and at the same great sadness. I should warn readers now, that there will be a few spoilers from now on. When Bill Murray aka Bob Harris and Scarlett Johansson aka Charlotte meet for the supposedly last time and kiss for the supposedly first time on the streets of Tokyo, what was your reaction? Did you feel happy or sad? Or both? 
Most probably the latter. It was the moment that convinced me of two things: firstly, Sofia Coppola being a genius; secondly, this film being one of her best, if not her best work. Although The Virgin Suicides is another option.



Similar to In the Mood for Love, a film from which this one draws much inspiration, nothing much happens in Lost in Translation. It is a film like a labyrinth; you walk and walk, at times desperate, at times almost calmly meditating. You search for both the center and the escape, yet in the end you find out that none of the two can hold up to the walk.
Do I sound too philosophic? I hope you're fine with that.

Lost in Translation is indeed a very philosophic film, not only because its one main character has studied philosophy, nor because of the philosophic audiobook she sometimes listens to. The film's philosophy lies mainly in its cinematography, dialogue and portrayal of character relations.
Both the scenes in the crowded and partly high-tech, partly traditional, streets and corners of Tokyo, and the scenes in the grand and empty hotel lobbies and rooms, seem exotic and fascinating, so that you can never turn your head away from the screen. 
The other two screen magnets are Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson, who with their portrayal of two lost, searching characters hit just the right spot in me. I was never sure whether their relationship had an erotic or a platonic tendency, not even in the end, and this made out part of the fascination this movie provoked in me. 



And then there is the dialogue of course - sporadic, philosophic and magnetizing as well. My favourite dialogue scene is the one where Bob and Charlotte lie down in a hotel bed, and you expect them to have sex although you think this would destroy everything, the whole atmosphere. I asked myself how Coppola would handle this, what possibilities she actually had to make this scene convincing and appropriate. 

In an interview with Coppola and Murray, I learned that this was one of the hardest scenes to complete, and that the crew spent a long night filming it - and both Coppola and Murray thought this was the scene in which most people decide they actually like the movie. The result of their efforts is indeed a great one - the dialogue seems convincing and realistic, one of those rare conversations you sometimes have with someone. It starts with Charlotte falling onto the bed, saying "I feel stuck". This marks a clear change in the film's plot, with the relationship between Charlotte and Bob becoming more than just an encounter or a possible affair. I like how there is no real solution in the scene, as neither Charlotte nor Bob find out what they want with their lives, but at the same time there is a warm and safe feeling about the end of it, when both fall asleep (without having sex or any of the like).
This scene demonstrates the talent and ability of everyone involved in this film, from the script writer and director to the actors to many other people, and is a great example of the power and magic of cinema. It is one of those scenes I will often think about, philosophizing or thinking about my love for films.

So Lost in Translation leaves me with many things. It leaves me with one Sofia Coppola feature film to watch (Somewhere, plus the shorts), and it leaves me with the impression that life is change, and that knowing this can hurt and help at the same time. 
And finally, it leaves me with a new favourite film.

The final word:



25 comments:

  1. One of cinema's true gems. Bill Murray is fantastic here, and this is probably Scarlett Johanson's best performance too. I love the scene when filming the Santory commercial. The director gave a long and passionate explanation, but the translator just said a couple of words without any emotion. The ending was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that scene too, Bill Murray performance was very relatable.
      Before, I used to really want to go to Tokyo, but now I'm not that excited about it anymore. I do want to go there, but I think it's far more exotic than I had expected.
      Scarlett is one of my favourite actresses, and this is indeed one of her best performances I have seen until now.

      Delete
  2. Correction... it's The Virgin Suicides.

    This is my all-time favorite film. I've already written essay on the film four years ago that I posted on my blog a couple years ago. I'm going to do a much bigger project on the film next year for its 10th Anniversary while closing the books on it for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my God, I can't believe I wrote "The Virgin Diaries"! Going to edit it immediately.
      I'll have to get back and read your essay some time - and I'll be looking forward to your project, whatever it's going to be.
      I'm so glad I finally watched this film!

      Delete
  3. It's always nice to read a great review of my favorite film. That scene in the bed is indeed wonderful. I'm also very fond of the commercial shooting scene, and the karaeoke scene, and the ending, and... everything, really. I love this movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The karaoke scene, I forgot to mention that one!
      Both Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson have really good singing voices, and I loved Scarlett's wig. Very japanese, in a way.
      Great to hear about all the love for the film (although I knew; that's why I watched this movie).

      Delete
  4. I love this movie to pieces. It is just a simple, beautiful movie. Plus, I love your rating system - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      The simplicity is also what I love about Coppola's films, though this has been said often before.

      Delete
  5. I can understand why people wouldn't like Lost in Translation, but honestly, it is such a beautiful and wonderful film, that it really saddens me to hear negative things about it - so glad you loved it, too! (Great review btw!)

    This particularly part of your review resonated with me, as this has definitely happened with me: Most people have experienced a situation like this, meeting someone and instantly feeling a special connection, sharing a few incomparable moments together, and afterwards having to leave this person.

    What I can say to that though, and from experience, is people seem to come into your life, and leave, when they need to - some people you'll never see again open up doors for the people that are figureheads in your life, whether that is strengthening friendships/relationships, developing new relationships, etc.

    Life is a weird one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to add, please watch Somewhere soon! It is my favourite Sofia Coppola film. A lot of people really don't like it, but it is absolutely amazing!

      Delete
    2. There are probably people who don't like this one, but I think most movie buffs/ cinema enthusiasts do appreciate it, if not love it.

      The fact that we know that there is a reason for people leaving us, is part of what made me happy when I watched Lost in Translation. I knew that life wasn't going to be the same for both characters in the end, that they were going to perhaps change their lives, or at least their way of thinking, inspired by the counterpart.
      And this is also what I have experienced.

      An old friend of mine recommended Somewhere to me, she loved it too. So I'm going to watch it soon (I also love Elle Fanning).

      Thanks for your comment, Cherokee.

      Delete
  6. Favorite quote from that movie, Bob's advice to Charlotte: "The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of great quotes from the film... I love this one as well! I'll put it up as my "Quality Quote" on the sidebar - thanks!

      Delete
  7. I love this movie and really need to watch it again. It's been too long. It's interesting because there were raves when it came out, but then a nasty backlash arrived. I feel like a lot of film lovers are now revisiting Lost in Translation and realizing how great is is once again. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? There was a nasty backlash? I've only heard praise about this one.
      Although I know there are a lot of people who generally don't like Sofia Coppola's films.
      Thanks, Dan!

      Delete
  8. When I hear criticism for 'slow' films, I think of this one. A perfect slow film.

    Sophia Coppola's undoubtedly run across actors at this point in their lives, and perhaps she had her own Charlotte moment to write this, but I'll always thank her for giving us this tale.

    I always wanted to thank Bill Murray because this might have been a 'step down' for him, not a Francis Ford film but a mere Sophia film. And somewhere he decided this would be one of his finest products. I think in fifty years, it will still be considered a classic.

    And Scarlett - this was probably always going to be a 'step up' in her career, but it's more like one of those Neil Armstrong steps.

    I like the bed scene too because there's an intimacy of charactor that is delivered, not one of flesh. When Charlotte's upset to discover a woman - another form of intimacy - in Bob's suite, we see both of them have that awkward ordeal to handle. The intimacy is so well set-up and portrayed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BuffaloChuck, welcome to this blog!

      I like slow films, when they're good - like this one.
      I don't really think it was a "step down" for Bill Murray, because like you said, this is one of his finest products.

      The scene in which Charlotte discovers the other woman is very interesting I think. It's one of the points where I was very unsure what kind of relationship there is between Bill and Charlotte.

      Well, a true classic indeed - if it isn't considered one in fifty years, I don't know what other films should be.

      Delete
  9. Lovely review, it's another of my favorites, and somehow I just knew you would love it too.

    I can't really add anything to what the other commenters have already said, except a recommendation to watch Before Sunrise, if you haven't already seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, BT. It's true, this is just my kind of film... sometimes, when I read about a film, I know I'll like it.

      Also thanks for the recommendation, I've heard about Before Sunrise and Before Sunset a few times, and have considered adding them to my watchlist. Which is what I'll do now.

      Delete
  10. Great review! :) I definitely need to see this again. I watched first when I was about 13 and I didn't really enjoy it. I bet I'd enjoy it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not a film I'd have enjoyed as a 13 year old either. So yes, you should really rewatch it.
      Thanks :)

      Delete
  11. Nice write up Mette, I see that this is currently available for streaming on Netflix. I am going to have to try and give this a rewatch. This was a very moving film. Loved the performances of both Johanson and Murray in this film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It' slow but moving, haha.
      I wish I had Netflix. Anywhow, thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  12. Your take on this film is quite impressive. I watched the film a while ago and it's yet another material for a rewatch. I'm interested at how I'll perceive it now, when I know more about films and appreciate such slow but stylish productions. Of course, I remember liking it, but my new viewing experience will definitely differ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lesya!
      I've had many experiences re-watching films I liked at first watch, and very often it's amazing what things you missed when you watched it the first time! For example, I just re-watched The Dreamers, a favourite film already before, and now appreciate it so much more!

      Delete

Let the discussion begin!